Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Apoplectic


Jim and I were watching the old Ocean's 11 last night and in of the scenes, the character played by Peter Lawford was talking to the Akim Tamiroff character, and called him apoplectic! I made Jim rewind a bit so I could see if I was wrong. This is a word that I have recently learned, and it is so wonderfully descriptive for so many people I know that I have started using it more and more.


I'll bet the remake staring George Clooney doesn't use that word. They don't script like they used to!


Main Entry: ap·o·plec·tic



Pronunciation: \ˌa-pə-ˈplek-tik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French apoplectique, from Late Latin apoplecticus, from Greek apoplēktikos, from apoplēssein; Date: 1611


1 : of, relating to, or causing stroke
2 : affected with, inclined to, or showing symptoms of stroke
3 : of a kind to cause or apparently cause stroke ; also : greatly excited or angered

No comments:

Post a Comment