Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ecumenical

Pronunciation:
\e-kyə-ˈme-ni-kəl, -kyü-\

Definition:
1 : worldwide or general in extent, influence, or application
2a : of, relating to, or representing the whole of a body of churches b : promoting or tending toward worldwide Christian unity or cooperation

Etymology:
Late Latin oecumenicus, from Late Greek oikoumenikos, from Greek oikoumenē the inhabited world, from feminine of oikoumenos, present passive participle of oikein to inhabit, from oikos house

First Known Use: circa 1587

I am currently reading a vocabulary-rich book, "The Widower's Tale" by Julia Glass. I am in the habit of keeping a small notebook nearby so I can write interesting sections, quotes, and unfamiliar words from my latest read. Yesterday, I copied the following:

I have always been an avid and fairly ecumenical reader of fiction: I relish the pretend, the invented, the convincingly contrived. p314

I had heard the word ecumenical used with regards to religion, but never in a case like this, and I thought it very appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment