Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Overt

Pronunciation:
\ō-ˈvərt, ˈō-vərt\

Definition:
open to view : manifest
 
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from past participle of ovrir to open, from Vulgar Latin *operire, alteration of Latin aperire

First Known Use: 14th century

I was talking to myself, as I am wont to do, and used the word overt in my monologue. "Good word!" I thought.
 
I think of this word as meaning obvious, which compliments the definition above. The opposite, or antonym, would be covert. A good example would be the types of operations used in war. Covert operations would be hidden or not obvious. Overt ops would be like the pic today, a soldier waving a flag and a flashing light on his head.

Bush's "shock and awe" campaign would be overt. The group who finally killed Bin Laden would be covert.

No comments:

Post a Comment