Sunday, September 18, 2011

Concupiscence

Pronunciation:
kän-ˈkyü-pə-sən(t)s, kən-\

Definition:
strong desire; ardent longing; eagerly desirous

Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin concupiscentia, from Latin concupiscent-, concupiscens, present participle of concupiscere to desire ardently, from com- + cupere to desire

First Known Use: 14th century

My Sunday School teacher gave us homework last week to read the next chapter (7) in the book of Romans. While I was studying, I came across this word in the 8th verse:

But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
 
When we were talking about the lesson today, I told the teacher that I had a question about a word with which I was unfamiliar, and she knew which one I was thinking of! It is a beautifully descriptive word meant to convey an intense longing for something. Of course, when I looked at several references for the word, it gave the definition in terms of sensual longing, but this is not the entire meaning at all.
 
Debbie (my teacher) used Candid Camera (remember that old show?) as an example where there is a sign reading "Do Not Touch - Wet Paint". Seven out of ten people had to touch the wall to see if the paint was wet! Here is a sign for your good, and it creates such a desire in the passersby that it becomes almost an insatiable need to do exactly what the sign warns against. Just like the Bible verse of sin and the law.
 
A beautiful word for a life lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment