Friday, September 9, 2011

Intimate


Intimate is a word that I use quite often, but probably not how you imagine.

The first usage (which often means that it is the most common) is an adjective and describes close, personal relationships. It is pronounced [in-tuh-mit]. The following sentences give an array of meaning with this definition:

I have an intimate relationship with my husband.
The cafe offered an intimate atmosphere.
Handling my finances is an intimate affair.

Do you see how they all result in a "close to" meaning?

The way I use this word is the second and less common usage of hinting, implying or suggesting. In this case, it is a verb. It is pronounced [in-tuh-meyt]. A few sentences:

I didn't not mean to intimate that I don't like the color.
Are you intimating that you want to go?

For some reason, you will see this usage in written form much more often than hear it in conversation. I am not sure why, other than the fact that many people may simply not be comfortable using it. I am certainly not intimating that they are ignorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment