Sunday, September 25, 2011

Abhor

Pronunciation:
\əb-hor, ab-\

Definition:
to regard with extreme repugnance : loathe

Etymology:
Middle English abhorren, from Latin abhorrēre, from ab- + horrēre to shudder

First Known Use: 15th century

Isn't that a great etymology? From the Latin word meaning "to shudder." I like that because it paints a vivid word picture.

When Strat was in fifth grade, he had a friend (with whom he is still friends) named Christian. We happened to be taking Christian somewhere with us, and the conversation turned to a teacher at their junior high school. From the back seat, this eleven-year-old scholar said, "I abhor her." I almost laughed out loud! Of course, I had to ask him what he said to make sure that my ears did not play a trick on me. This is a great word that is horribly underused.

No comments:

Post a Comment