Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rigmarole

No photo today. You have no idea how difficult it is to find a picture of "rigmarole".


I am not sure why this word popped into my head, but I thought it a good word for the week.I had trouble spelling it initially, since I was including another syllable between the "rig" and "ma". You'll see that there is another pronunciation containing this extra syllable, but it's only in America and it's not the preferred.


rig·ma·role (rgm-rl) also rig·a·ma·role (--m-rl); n.


1. Confused, rambling, or incoherent discourse; nonsense.
2. A complicated, petty set of procedures.


[Alteration of obsolete ragman roll, catalog, from Middle English ragmane rolle, scroll used in Ragman, a game of chance : perhaps from Anglo-Norman Ragemon le bon, Ragemon the Good, title of a set of verses about a character of this name + Middle English rolle, list (from Old French, from Latin rotula, wheel; see roll).]
 
Turns out, it's also a fishing lure. I guess a play on the first syllable, "rig". Fishermen can be wordsmiths, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment