Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Recalcitrant

Pronunciation:
\ri-ˈkal-sə-trənt\

Definition:
1 : obstinately defiant of authority or restraint;
2 : Having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority.
3a : difficult to manage or operate b : not responsive to treatment

Etymology:

Late Latin recalcitrant-, recalcitrans, present participle of recalcitrare to be stubbornly disobedient, from Latin, to kick back, from re- + calcitrare to kick, from calc-, calx heel

First Known Use: 1843

First of all, I find it very interesting that there is an exact year noted for the first known use. How do they know that?

Anyway, when I was at the library the other day, one of the librarians SHUSHED me! I, of course, posted this on facebook, where a friend of mine asked "Are you chastised or indignant?" She knows me so well!

I would say that I was recalcitrant. After all, I know that I am supposed to be quiet in the library, but I guess I was just obstinately talking too loudly. When I heard the "shhh", I turned to her (I think I was mid-sentence and I was talking to the other librarian, thank you very much) looked her in the eye and said, "Did you just shush me?" I was incredulous (that's a word for another day). So, while I did lower my voice, I remained uncooperative in my attitude toward her authority.

As a follow-up, I visited the library again yesterday evening and said library lady didn't even look at me. Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment