Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Is this offensive?

At the youth leadership retreat a few weeks ago, I called one of the kids a panty waist. I was shocked to find that they thought I was using a bad word! I was completely nonplussed by the general reaction. For your edification, here is the definition:

–noun
1. Informal. a weak, effeminate man; sissy.
2. formerly, a child's undergarment consisting of short pants and a shirt that buttoned together at the waist.

–adjective
3. weak; fainthearted.
4. Informal. childish.

Synonyms:
1. weakling, milksop, namby-pamby.

So, you see, I was using the term correctly, and was in no way being unmannerly. I was simply calling a spade a spade.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny. I have a dictionary right at my fingertips. I may just have to write some of these down to use.

    ReplyDelete